Friday, July 26, 2013

It was bound to happen sooner or later…

Last night our little town had a Stroll the Avenue event. It was the first time they had done this and it was going so well! Most of the local shops were having an open house of some sort and the salon where I get my hair done (Salon Eye Candy) was having a great little family dance party with DJ and everything! Zim and I headed up early to take some photos. Ed, Bub and Monkey were going to meet up with us after Monkey finished his dinner.

It was so great to see all the people strolling our little main street! Zim was enjoying the music from the DJ and really liked seeing the fire truck up close and personal. As we were headed back toward the center of the action I noticed Ed and the boys walking up. Something didn’t seem right. Ed said to me, “Something’s very wrong…he got stabbed.” I had a minor panic attack during the pause between that and him finishing his statement… “Bub was walking outside by the garden and got stabbed by a wire from the fence.” YIKES But it got worse…he had actually been STUCK there. His leg had been impaled by thick, nasty wire and couldn’t get himself off. Ed said that he was inside and heard Bub screaming for him. When he got outside he told him to move away from the fence but Bub told him, “I can’t!!” Soon Ed had him removed from the fence and bandaged up enough to come find me. (He’d tried to call me but I didn’t have my phone on vibrate so I didn’t even realize he’d called.)

Since it was such a nasty gash we decided to take him up to MedExpress. Thankfully they weren’t busy at all so we got right in. We had the nicest nurse who joked around with Bub and really helped distract him from what was going on. She put some numbing liquid on it to help with the pain while we waited for the doctor to come in. She had told us they might need to stitch it so they moved us to a different room just in case. Once the doctor came in he said that because of how deep it was he needed to put in a few stitches. The doctor and the nurse were both so calm and wonderful with Bub. Even though he was a bit shaken up they were patient with him and helped him through it. Four stitches later he was all finished and happy to be heading home.


I know we’ve been fortunate to make it almost 9 years without a broken bone or stitches so really it was going to happen sooner or later. Having three active boys probably ensures that this won’t be our last experience like this either.